Thursday, December 22, 2011

Where two are gathered in My name...

I was thinking about a phrase my pastor tossed out about the nature of prayer, and it's been sticking with me ever since.

Matthew 18:20, where Jesus says "where two or three are gathered in My name, I am with them," was the starting point - it's often used to define a church, or congregation, focusing on the gathering of believers.

But that always sounds odd to me.

You know how people say "two is company's, three's a crowd," well...

Pirkei Avot, a collection of ethical maxims from the rabbis, in chapter 3 v. 7 (which I had to look  up), says otherwise, and - more importantly - backs it up with verses that apply for Christians, too:

Rabbi Chalafta ben Dosa of Kefar Chanania used to say: If ten men sit together and occupy themselves with the Torah, the Divine Presence rests among them as it is written (Psalm 82:1) "God has taken his place in the divine council." And from where do we learn that this applies even to five? Because it is written (Amos 9:6) "And founds his vault upon the earth." And how do we learn that this applies even to three? Because it is written (Psalm 82:1) "In the midst of the gods he holds judgment." And from where can it be shown that the same applies even to two? Because it is written (Malachi 3:16)"Then those who revered the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord took note and listened." And from where even of one? Because it is written (Exodus 20:24) "In every place where I cause my name to be remembered I will come to you and bless you."

That means that for Christians, especially, accompanied by the Holy Spirit (the "Divine Presence," shekinah, keter) we are always "in church," internally and externally.

On a purely personal note, I find it difficult to pray out loud for others to hear, and this is why:

First, as a Messianic Jew, not only am I aware of the Christian perception of Pharisees - a negative (and, sadly, slightly cartoonish) perception of the Jew who prays in public for display, you know, and since I have a large vocabulary and an odd way of expressing things, it's not a large leap for people to think I'm trying to do the same thing. And who knows? I am a proud person (a fact of which I'm not proud), Maybe they'd be right.

Secondly, I find prayer to be... an odd stepping-out. If I were playing tennis, or solitaire - it'd be odd for me to be in the middle of a game, stop, and say "I am now going to play tennis," or "I am now going to play cards." If God is with us in all things, and accompaniment in the presence of God's works puts us "in prayer," or "in church," however you want to say it, then is not everything a prayer? Is my greeting to you in the hallway not a prayer? Is my installation of a mezuzah in my house not a prayer? Is my making my morning coffee - a vicious brew, since I make it strong enough to repair potholes with - not a prayer?

I say everything is prayer, even those things of which God does not approve (i.e., sin.) I'm definitely not perfect, by any means; I find it difficult to even serve in a church because - quoting Isaiah - I am a man of unclean lips, unclean hands. (And I am a Jew, for whom the concept of kashruth - ritual cleanliness, "being kosher" - is a cultural more.) But God sees my desires and my acts, both good and bad, and my offering of those acts to Him - either in commitment or in repentance for them - is all an act of continuous, endless prayer.

There is no "prayer time" for me, as long as I am alive. There are certainly times in which I focus solely on God, in which I converse or commune with God, I suppose - and that's what people would consider my "prayer time," per se, but to me it is only a matter of my attention, not a change in communicative state or praise to God.

This is definitely not to say that those who do practice a "prayer time" are wrong to do so. They're not wrong at all - but that goes to the center of my thought, that accompaniment by God is continuous and everlasting, and we all worship Him in unique (and entirely valid) ways.

If you are able to glorify God by reciting prayers and this is the desire He put in your heart, then you  do well.

If your prayer takes the form of dancing, or music - as it did for David - then you do well.

If your prayer is an act of living, as I try to make it, then - again - you do well.

The heart is the matter, not the form. I just don't see a proper delineation in forms.

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment